Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Where do you go when you're gone?

Today I was thinking about new social media, and how individuals interact in virtual communities through creating profiles on social networking sites. I then got to thinking, what happens to your personal profile when you pass away? Would I want my profile to remain active in the public sphere? Death is obviously not something people like to think of when they are creating their accounts, or actively using them, however, nobody lives forever, and this is an important question that needs to be addressed.

When thinking about this I asked a few friends what their opinions were on the matter. My question to them was "If you passed away, would you want your social networking accounts such as Facebook and Twitter and E-mail accounts likeHotmail, G-mail etc. to be taken down?" I received three different responses. The first response was a definite yes. She said "I think it's weird to have people look at my profile and post stuff if I'm gone. Somebody could make a memory group but I wouldn't want to have a profile." My second response was "I'm not sure, thats a tough question. I think it is a nice way for friends and family to post comments and memories. At the same time, I think if you're gone, it is a bit strange to have an active profile." Finally, another response was "I wouldn't want them taken down right away, I guess it depends on how old I was when I died though. Like if it were to happen tomorrow I'd want my accounts up for longer than if it happened at 85." Personally I think this is a tough question. I shared these responses with you because they were all different and quite interesting. Personally I think I would want my account taken down. There is something slightly morbid about having an active profile of me when I no longer am around. Although it is nice way for people to remember me, I think if I was close to you, I would want you to remember me for our face to face interactions, not my Facebook account. I think if I had a Foundation/Scholarship set up in my honor/name then that should have its own webpage. I would want to take down my social networking profiles and replace it with this webpage. That way if people wanted to write, there is a forum to do it there. But where do you go? and Where does your information go? These are definitely concerning questions.

I found an interesting blog written by Paul Silver, which talks about what social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter and E-mail accounts like Hotmail,G-mail and Yahoo mail do when you pass away. Death and Social Media « Paul Silver's blog. Interestingly, Facebook keeps the profiles open for a period of time to allow for people to post comments. They used to take the accounts down, however, after the Virgina Tech shooting friends wanted to be able to leave comments in a form of communication they were used to and comfortable with. The Facebook Terms illustrate this is more detail. With respect to Twitter accounts, if you do not have access to the person's e-mail address and password, you will not be able to access their account. There is just the option to tell the network about the death, then they may be able to tell the person's friend's by changing the status of the account. Hotmail the free version will delete an account if it has not been logged in to for 120 days. G-mail will provide access to the deseased account if you provide them with a copy of a death certificate or a letter from a power of attorney. On the other hand, Yahoo Mail will not give you access to somebody else's account as they say it "breaks the data protection act." This is an issue that most people do not commonly think about, however, a rather important one. Social networks are placed in a difficult position as they want to be considerate to family who have lost a loved one, as well as friends and people who communicated with that individual through these sites. My main question of concern is where do I go when I'm gone? What happens to all of the personal information trapped in my account? It is naive to think it just gets deleted. Nothing is "just deleted" off the internet.

If I were to ask you the same question I asked my friends earlier today, what would your response be? I think this is a very intriguing question that can fuel an interesting conversation. Where would you want to go when you are gone? and Where do you think you go?

Until next time,
The Active Citizen

5 comments:

  1. A friend of mine from high school died when I was in first year at Laurier. Her profile was immediately taken down by Facebook as soon as they were notified, which was within a day or two. Friends created a Facebook group that is still going strong. I used to spend hours browsing through the photos people had posted of her. I'd look at them over and over. In fact, I only signed up for Facebook in first year so that I could join that group and stay in contact with those friends. Before that, I hadn't seen the need to sign up. I'm really glad we had a social networking site where we could all express our thoughts to one another, post memories, and upload photos. It was a great tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear that.

    I agree, having a social networking sites are really important, especially today with so many people actively communicating online, and staying in touch via Facebook. I think the idea of creating a group as a tribute to those we loose is a really nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all I would like to say that I am sorry for your loss, it is never easy to discuss the death of a close friend. In this instance I really like the idea of creating a facebook group in commemoration of a lost friend. I believe it is a good way to honour someone after they are gone. The concern I have with social media is the sort of addiction that is surrounding it. To some people their facebook account is more important than their real world face to face interactions with people. This is a point that was very well raised in the La Aprendiza post, Blogging Addiction? While social networking is growing in importance, and provides a means of communication for people who could not stay in touch otherwise I fear it has become to invasive into our daily lives. I know personally if I were to pass on I would not want to be remembered via my facebook account but by the person I was in real life. It is the face to face interactions that are important in shaping who you are, and I still believe this even in the ever increasing digital world where face to face interactions are becoming a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually had this conversation with my friends and I said to them (in my usual sarcastic fashion): "I'm dead and there's no Facebook in Heaven. Don't post on my wall, I'm not going to get it."

    But I also understand the importance of catharsis and grieving. It would be strange to have your account just disappear.

    I read a story about a girl's mother who had passed away but was receving messages from her mother's facebook account after a spammer hacked into it.

    If you google it, you can find an article describing how Facebook allows you to memorialize accounts. http://boingboing.net/2009/10/26/how-to-memorialize-f.html

    Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Link!!

    I think it is important that Facebook has made these comments about memorializing Facebook accounts. Obviously they are in a difficult situation because they want to respect the family and friends and the person who actually passed, while at the same time, If they are no longer around how are they do know what they would have wanted.

    It is nice that they can take away the personal or "sensitive" information as they stated such as contact info and status updates.

    I enjoyed your comment "I'm dead and there is no facebook in Heaven. Don't post on my wall, I'm not going to get it. " Although this may be a "sassy" comment, I stick by the idea that I much rather have a group dedicated to me rather than my own facebook page. As Mason mentioned, I would want people to remember me for my actual self, not my facebook account

    ReplyDelete